Whether you’re an amateur or an expert firearm owner, you know just how important a gun safe is!
As a gun owner, there are plenty of reasons why you should consider investing in the best gun safe, or the best handgun safe in particular. A superior quality gun safe is not a cheap purchase; therefore you need to buy one that will last you a lifetime.
So, choosing the best gun safe is an important decision that shouldn’t be taken lightly. There are so many variations in the locking mechanism, sizes as well as the material used. Overall, it’s quite a tough decision to know what to look for in the best home gun safe.
Let’s take a look at some of the top rated gun safes, so you can find the best gun safe for you!
Product Quick Comparison
GunVault SV 500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe
Are you are looking for a quick way to keep your handgun safe and secure? Try the GunVault SV 500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe.
This safe offers a revolutionary design, the SpeedVault quick access design makes it the ideal choice for a home or business that’s looking to add more security.
The GunVault SV 500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe comes with the durable 18 gauge construction as well as a low battery alert. Primarily the GunValt SV Digital firearm storage vault offers the best storage option currently.
- The GunVault SV 500 SpeedVault Handgun Safe can be easily mounted anywhere in your home, office, bedroom or living room. You can keep it wherever you feel that it can easily be reached; regardless of the situation.
- This particular handgun safe will even fit discreetly in your car without interfering with the interior ambiance as well as design.
- It is incredibly discreet making intruders unaware of your presence when you try to access your handgun from the safe.
Overall, this is one of the best handgun safes, perfect for a residential requirement where users require the combination of fast retrieval and with dead silence in case of emergency.
- Easy to mount
- Fingerprint recognition
- Extra large keypad
- Easy to disguise
- Budget friendly
- Not fire or waterproof
GunVault NV200 NanoVault 200
The GunVault NV200 NanoVault 200 delivers an easy to operate key lock system and comes with the 21 gauge steel construction and 1.25-inch thick memory foam interior, making it ideal for anyone who needs to travel by air with a gun.
Fundamentally, the GunVault NanoVault features an extremely durable design for secure firearm storage and protection. Moreover, it includes a security cable, making the gun safe more secure and safe.
- The GunVault NV200 NanoVault 200 is perfect for home, travel as well as canceled weapon permit holders.
- It includes a 1500lb security cable just to fasten our NanoVault to a fixed object for easy access.
- This gun safe is easy to use which comes with maximum security options in the budget-friendly price tag.
Overall, the GunVault NV200 NanoVault 200 is a great choice which includes a briefcase, car stash holder, which can provide defense on the move due to its portability. Last but not least this product is sufficient to protect the handgun from getting snatched and grab.
- Ideal for travel
- Perfect for hiding in small places
- Low price
- Added security cable
- The foam's chemical smell can be overbearing, but this can be washed!
Fort Knox Handgun Safe
With over 30 years of experience, Fort Knox is one of the top gun safe brands in the industry. The Fort Knox Handgun Safe made by Fort Knox is approved by professionals and it comes with a 10-gauge body with a 3/16” plate door.
This Fort Knox Handgun Safe is designed to last a long time and thus ensure that your guns are entirely safe and secure. The innovative Simplex Mechanical Lock may be one of the reliable lock systems available in the market.
Moreover, this gun safe comes with a simple button technology that’s fast and easy to use with the potential of 1,081 combinations.
- Fort Knox uses high-quality steel which extremely beneficial as they ensure that every part of the gun safe is made from the same high quality.
- The mechanical locking system means that there’s no need to worry about the batteries dying on you! Also, you don’t have to worry about the fingerprint reader failing either.
- The Fort Knox Handgun Safe comes with a lifetime warranty, therefore they will entirely replace the safe with no hidden cost and even cover the shipping cost in the event of fire or theft.
Overall, if you are looking for a gun safe with sturdy construction that lasts for an extended period, then the Fort Knox Handgun Safe is worth buying. This handgun safe is great for someone looking for a compact yet functional safe for a gun and other valuable small things.
- Heavy-duty steel uni-body construction
- Welded hinges
- Reliable locking mechanism
- Spacious interior
- Not waterproof or fireproof
Sentry Safe Pistol
The Sentry Safe Pistol is designed with the most advanced security features to provide proper storage as well as protection for your guns and pistols. Now for added protection, you can set your own digital with an easy process that works conveniently.
Sentry Pistol Safes gives the assurance to gun owners that they will have quick, reliable access to their firearms in the situation. The options like whisper-quiet entry, biometric access, and portable security, makes Sentry Safe Pistol entirely out of the box.
- In case of local access matters, the gun safe offers the zero-feedback backlit digital keypad and whisper-quiet gas strut.
- The latest biometric technology detects your fingerprint, allowing for quick single-hand access when you need it the most.
- The Sentry Safe Pistol operated with the AA batteries for the electronic system
Overall, this safe is an ideal choice for single storage of the handgun. It comes with all the necessary standards for the safety and protection of your Gun. Our recommendation is for a person looking for a long-term fix without worrying about sub-standard protection.
- Quick access
- Long-lasting strength
- Digital keypad
- 3-Methods of entry
- Budget friendly
- Auto-open door provides quick access
- It's a little small and can only hold one pistol
Stealth Handgun Safe
The Stealth Handgun Safe is a superb choice for storing as well as protecting from a single to a maximum of 5 handguns. This particular rugged safe is well designed which meets California DOJ standards for the handgun storage.
- This particular gun safe has four pre-drilled holes that you can use to secure any flat surface, including the inside of a closet.
- The Stealth Handgun Safe features the solid steel construction with anti-pry tabs. Moreover, the designs feature a high strength locking latch and a pick-proof with advanced welded lock housing.
- This gun safe offers compact storage which can help you secure several guns in one place.
The Stealth Handgun Safe works quite well for any space and guarantees security with quick access in case of intrusion. If you are looking for a gun safe that can hold several guns, then this high-density strength security gun safe is worth buying.
- CA DOJ approved
- High capacity
- Quick access
- Solid steel construction
- Security cable included
- Fast access with door spring
- Illuminating push button
- Red interior light
- The beep emitted when you press the buttons is quite loud, especially in a quiet room!
Barska Large Biometric Rifle Safe
As the name implies, the Barska Large Biometric Rifle Safe comes with a biometric system so that it can be accessed safely within a couple of seconds.
This large rifle safe has passed many tests performed by the California Department of Justice.
- The California Department of Justice approved it as a certified firearm safe. This means that it is tamper resistant and cannot be broken easily.
- It opens up quickly just by a touch of a finger as it comes with biometric fingerprint scanning.
- The gun safe offers the storage of up to 120 fingerprints and comes with an internal removable 12 position rifle pack.
- A notifying sound is produced when the battery drains out, or the door is opened.
- Audio notifications can be turned off by following the “Beep sound option” instruction in the user manual.
Overall the Barska Large Biometric Safe comes with 6 pre-drilled mounting points. And most importantly in case of an emergency, it should be brought into use immediately.
- Firearms are easy to access in the dark without a key
- Rifles and handguns are safely stored but are easy to access in an emergency
- Includes 2 emergency back-up keys
- Can be opened silently if required
- Includes set of 4 AA batteries
- This safe is not fireproof or waterproof
Steel Water Standard Duty 16 Safes
The Steel Water Standard Duty 16 Safes is a house of extensive defensive capabilities for your firearms. Its unique feature prevents you from getting locked from your safety with the double-bitted bypass key.
This safe comes with ample storage for about 8 to 9 rifles and also has a lot of compartments that can store handguns, ammo and some other important valuables.
- The gun safe comes with a lock system which is enabled with an EMP-proof electronic system.
- To ensure maximum security under most stringent conditions, it has 91″ diameters of steel locking.
- It can sustain a fire resistance of around 1550 Fahrenheit which makes it a robust safe that will not crack event under a tremendous amount of stress.
The gun safe is made up of 12 gauge steel constructed body, and composite built 5″ thick door which includes a total of two layers of fireboard. It provides 1 hour of fire protection at 1875°F.
For residential security containers, it exceeds the California Department of Justice regulatory standards.
- Fantastic quality construction
- 60 minute fire protection at 1875 degrees
- Easy to customize and organize
- Excellent value for money
- Not budget friendly
Steelwater Heavy Duty 20 Safe
Steelwater Heavy Duty 20 Safe provides new and improved gun safety. This safe comes with automatic LED interior designing and can fit a maximum of 20 long guns. On average, it can store 12 to 16 guns.
To prevent you from getting locked from your own safety, the gun safe comes with an EMP-proof electronic lock system with high-security double-sided bypass key lock.
- The safe comes with a drill resistant hard plate which prevents drilling more than eight times than that of conventional design.
- The safe provides fire resistance of around 1875 F which makes it safe under any stress during the fire
The Steelwater Heavy Duty 20 Safe comes with ¼” steel bolt down holes, which can help to remove it safely from home. If you are looking for built-in storage for your rifles with an automatic lock system, Steelwater Heavy Duty is best suited.
- Interior LED light
- Weighs 453lbs
- Pry bar resistant door
- 45 minutes of fire protection up to 1550 Farenheight
- Inner lined carpet
- 10 x 1.5" solid steel locking bolts
- Some reviewers complained that there was a slow response from customer support team
Steelwater 39 Long Gun Safe
Unlike many other guns safe, The Steelwater 39 Long Gun Safe consists of a keypad which increases security and makes accessibility easier. Thanks to this feature, you can consider it best for home use.
The improved digital keypad, which comes with a double-bitted bypass key, plays a significant role in bringing The Steelwater 39 the category of best safes.
- The heavy steel body provides maximum protection to your firearms.
- One of the best features of the gun safe is its adjustable door organizer, allowing you to add other valuables.
It may happen that you are unable to the keypad for access, so, for additional access, the bypass keys comes in handy. For best results, it has automatic LED lights for visibility in dark areas. Though it is best suited for the home purpose, design features make it suitable for commercial use.
- Automatic interior LED light
- The door organizer is perfect for accessories and ammo
- E.M.P proof digital keypad with double bitted high security bypass key
- Heat activated door seal provides 60 minutes of fire protection
- The gear drive linkage system protects against punching, drill attacks and prying
- Reinforced bolt down holes
- Two internal re-locking devices
- Expensive model
Steelwater 22 Long Gun Safe
This model from Steelwater must be mentioned on one of the top positions not only because of its strength and durability but also because of its other impressive features such as its huge storage and fire rating capacity.
- Its 51/8″ thick board consists of three layers of fireboard. For assurance, there are gear driven lock and bolt system which is strong enough against prying, drilling or punching.
- It allows to you add other items for maximum use of the storage space with the help of additional shelves.
Overall, the Steelwater 22 Long gun safe is heat activated and expands to protect the contents.
- Heat activated expandable door seal that's designed to seal out smoke and water
- 60 minute fire protection at 1875 Farenheight
- 8x drill resistant hard plate
- New and improved interior LED automatic lighting included
- Gear drive lock and bolt system
- Features 2 layers of fireboard in the walls, ceiling, floor and door jams
- Expensive unit
Viking Security Hidden Wall Safe
Looking for a reliable and trustworthy hidden wall safe? If yes, you should purchase the Viking Security Hidden Wall Safe.
This gun safe is made up of black scratch resistant military coating steel. It comes with many impressive and attractive features like the optical fingerprint reader, numeric digital keypad and LCD.
- The Viking Security Hidden Wall Safe can store up to 32 unique fingerprints and 1 PIN code into its non-volatile memory.
- The gun safe is made of steel, its laser cut, pry-resistant, reinforced by anti-pry steel strip, seamlessly welded with the military scratch resistant finish.
- This particular gun safe has an elegant and well-built interior, integrated LED light, key hooks and three fully adjustable shelves for additional convenience.
Overall, Viking Security is the perfect storage solution for precious items such as jewelry, important documents, small electronics, and other valuables.
- Fully carpeted interior
- Built in LED light
- The safe automatically enters a time out after a series of incorrect fingerprint or pin attempts
- Option to switch the sound off
- Multiple ways to access the safe
- The interior shelves can feel a little flimsy in construction
What Is The Purpose of Having a Gun Safe If I Own Firearms?
As firearms have gained popularity, the chances of them being misused have increased. However, it’s not just theft that you should be concerned about.
If you own a gun but haven’t followed precaution by investing in a gun safe, there’s the possibility that it could end up in the hands of your children which could prove fatal.
Therefore, investing in some hazard prevention will help you not to avoid any potentially dangerous situations.
To prevent gun-related danger, you need to store your weapons securely in a quality gun safe. The best idea is to store your ammo and your firearms separately. This will reduce the chances of any accidents in the future. One of the main things to remember is to never keep a loaded weapon.
What if the Gun Safe Can’t Provide Adequate Protection or What if the Gun Safe Fails?
Gun safes come with a variety of styles and sizes. It means you will have a vast variety to choose from.
If you are going to buy a gun safe, you should ask yourself, “ why do I need it?”.
The answer will be unique to your individual threats and at-home risks.
Before buying your new safe, it’s advisable that you check the UL rated fire protection to see whether it provides a minimum of 1 hr to 90 minutes of protection.
Need Ideas on Which Gun Safe Should Be Chosen?
Here is the list of things that you must consider in your gun safe;
- The best gun safe must have a strong build that cannot be damaged with any of the things. It should protect the things kept inside it.
- A sound safe should be having some fire protection. A good safe must have at least 40 minutes of fire resistance quality built in it.
- The size and the required design of the safe should be chosen according to the place where the safe will be sitting.
- Storage of the items must be considered as an essential factor as then only the place will be decided. If you have a storage of an extensive collection of firearms then owning a large safe is a good idea.
- Keeping these factors in mind will help you get the most appropriate one for yourself and will benefit you as a long term investment.
Why Should You Invest in a Gun Safe?
Safety must be an essential factor to consider when buying a gun safe beforehand. If you are the user of the gun and are well aware of the danger it causes then you need to ensure that you have full control over the weapon.
A gun safe will provide you with gun safety and allow you to sleep peacefully knowing that your gun and home are safe. Having control over the firearm and providing power to others to have access to your guns is fundamental to gun safety.
If you are encountered in a situation where you think a weapon is needed, then you are aware of the fact about how important quick access to a firearm is.
Features of Gun Safes You Need to Consider While Buying!
There are a lot of things which you need to consider when shopping for the gun safes to fit your needs, and just like any other major purchase.
If you are beginning your search, it may seem a little overwhelming, but once you get familiar with the basics, your decision-making process will be much easier.
The size of your Gun Safe should hold your entire gun collection without being cluttered as well as providing some room to spare.
Therefore, you need to ensure that you measure your guns and have a knowledge of the accessories that you’d like to store.
The weight of large gun safes can range from hundreds to thousands of pounds. So, to discourage thieves with dollies, 750 pounds around 340 KG empty is a reasonable minimum. Biometric gun safe claims that the heavier the gun safe, the more secure it is!
The best gun safes are the ones that include thick steel plates, interior hinges as well as a very secure bolting system. You can measure the steel thickness in gauge, the smaller the gauge, the higher the thickness will be! Ideally, gun safes are generally 11 to 12 gauge in the body and 1/4 or 1/8 in the door.
Lock Security is what most people think about when they consider a well-protected safe against any intrusion. When it comes to the safes, there are two main options.
The first one is Dial Combination locks and the second one is Digital Electronic Locks.
A manual lock is not advised because other people may be able to access it easily.
The majority of people say that fire is the greater danger than theft for gun owners. Therefore, a fire-resistant gun safe has a thin, insulating liner that offers minimal protection against extended exposure to heat.
Moreover, it is often equipped with more substantial sheetrock or ceramic panels which can keep the interior of the safe below 350F for 15 minutes to 4 hours.
When choosing a gun safe, always go for the best quality that you can afford.
Carefully look at the constriction of the gun safe. Honestly speaking, the more robust the gauge steel, the more robust and secure the safe will be!
Your gun safe should be the last line of defense against any intrusion or unauthorized access to your firearms. Always keep in mind that no safe is impenetrable; all you have to do is make it tough enough for intruders to fail.
The Top Review Zone Team chose the Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe as their best gun safe!
The reasonably priced Barska Quick Access Biometric Rifle Safe has excellent biometric technology and it’s passed rigorous testing performed by the California Department of Justice.
Plus, it’s large enough to store your rifles, pistols, and accessories!
Despite there being several gun safe reviews online, we hope this one has helped you to find the best gun safe for you!
What are your top gun safes?
Share this post, tag a friend and sound off in the comment section!
Share the Love
If you found this post useful, please let others know about it by sharing it.