How To Use Power Drill? Step By Step Guide
Though using a power drill is not a big thing, but if you do not know the mechanism well, this handy machine can turn itself into a devil and can give you a real hard time; who knows, you may end up with some toll from your health insurance scheme as well.
Be it a cordless or corded drill, for every houses Power Drill or electric drill is a must have item. From drilling to driving, a power drill can be used for many purposes, not just for DYI projects but also for creating hole or fasting various materials. As power drill comes with many options and applications, for a novice it can be often confusing to use it for the first time. So here in my article I will shed some light on different adjustment that is required to know for using a drill for the first time. Though different brands come with different mechanism but the core adjustments are more or less same for all the brands.
Setting up the drill
Setting up the drill before usages is the most important factor. A drill can be function with multiple drill bits. So, before using a drill, make sure to set the purpose and choose the right kind of bit to have a successful accomplishment.
Setting the perfect speed
A drill comes with multiple speed to perform its task, from low to high, you can set the speed of your own. Speeding high or low depends on the task you will be performing, often higher speed for drilling and lower speed for driving. Another important note to keep in mind, do not change the speed unless the tool is completely stopped, else it can cause some accidents.
Forward & Reverse button
Every frill comes with a forward and reverse button; by pressing the forward button, the drills goes front and by pressing the reverse button it comes backward; say you need a deep hole, first you put the forward button and when it is done, press the reverse button and pull out the drill.
Setting the right clutch
Clutch is the thing that let drills to have more control over the amount of torque applied to a screw. A drill has different level of clutch and setting it right is the most important job for the user. You will find different numbers from 1 to 10 and you will find arrow for rotation. For setting up the clutch you need to rotate it and adjust your desired number. The higher the number, the higher the torque and larger the fastener that can be provided.
Adjusting the chuck
Chuck is the things that adjust the bit with the drill. To attach the bit you need to rotate the sleeve of the chuck counter-clockwise, it will open up its teeth, and you need to put a bit 2-3 inches among its teeth and then rotate the sleeve again to tighten chuck; make sure the teeth of the chuck are tightly adjusted against the bits, else it might come up when drilling or fastening. There are many options available from ¼ inches to ½ inches even some are 3/8 inches. The ½ inches chuck are best for heavy appliance and the 3/8 inches are best for versatile usages.
Keeping its position straight
Make sure to keep the drill perpendicular to your work place to have a smooth accomplishment and have a steady hold over the drill.
Some Safety Measures While Using the Drill
- Avoid baggy clothing: avoid loose cloth, long sleeves, and jewelry and fashion accessories when using the drill. If you have long hair, it is always recommended to fasten your hair with clip or hair band.
- Cautionary gear: It is always better to wear safety goggles before start your drilling; and if your subject produces too much dust, cover your face with a breathing mask; you can also wear a hand gloves but make sure it remain fitted, else can get stuck with drill machine.
- Fasten your work place: Secure your work place before starting the drilling. If the object, either of wood or metal move around the while drilling, you might face an accident, hence fasten it with a clamp or put something against the surface so that it doesn’t move here and there.
- Check the chuck: Before getting started make sure the chuck is tight enough, else the bits may get fallen while drilling or driving and create severe danger to the surrounding people.
- Switch the power off: Before changing every drill bit, make sure to switch off the gear; changing the drill bit while the device is working is very dangerous, as it may slip from the hand cause serious injury.
- Use the correct drill bit: Every drill bit has its own work; misusing can cause a bad job done with wasting a huge amount of force and time. Moreover, using wrong drill bit over and over can damage your machine before time.
- Proper pressure on the drill: Put adequate pressure on the machine; if you give less pressure the machine can slip over your hand and if you put extensive pressure you may end up breaking your machine; hence try to estimate the pressure required to hold the machine properly and put that accordingly.
Checking the voltage level is very important for any powered device, which applies on power drill as well. Often the cordless drill models are featured with volts; the higher the volts the more battery it consumes and often the heavier in nature. But the corded ones are featured with AMP; usually 8 AMP corded drill is best for home usages.
So by checking the volts or amp, you can get your desired drill machine from the many options available in markets and by maintaining the above tips and suggestions you can run your activities very easily.
Also watch the video